The Blurred Lines Between Influencers and MLM Scams with Emily Lynn Paulson
In this episode, we are joined by Emily Lynn Paulson, the author of “Hey Hun: Sales, Sisterhood, Supremacy, and the Other Lies Behind Multilevel Marketing.” Emily experienced massive success as a leader in a well-known multi-level marketing company. She quickly rose to the top of the organization but left after the MLM took its toll on her life, health, and values. She left her success behind and went on to author
her book, which shares a glimpse behind the scenes of an MLM, the tactics used to lure women into them and keep them there. Emily is on a mission to help educate women about how to spot an MLM, how to get out of one if already involved and what to do if being pitched to join one. We also discuss how MLMs can often blur the lines between influencer marketing, fundraising, advocacy and small businesses.
In this episode:
- How one can easily fall into the trap of joining an MLM
- How to spot MLM red flags
- Influencer or MLM scam?
- Why women are more likely than men to be influenced or taken advantage of by MLMs.
- How to leave an MLM if you are involved or what to do if you are being pitched to join.
- 2:37 What is Multi-Level Marketing?
- 6:22 How Emily Quit Her MLM Company and decided to write a book
- 8:24 How Do People Fall For MLMs?
- 12:22 The Blurred Lines Between Influencers And MLM Scams
- 17:26 Multi-Level Marketing: Red Flags
- 19:41 How Social Media Is The New Outlet For MLMs
- 23:05 The False “Lifestyle” Of MLMs
- 29:30 How Can You Get Out Of An MLM?
- 34:19 How are People Reacting To Emily’s Choice To Expose MLMs?
Want more from SheSpeaks?
* Sign up for our podcast newsletter HERE! *
- Connect with us on Instagram, FB & Twitter @shespeaksup
- Contact us at email@example.com